Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tampa Bay Times Turkey Trot 10k Race Recap


On Thanksgiving 2013, I ran the Tampa Bay Times Turkey Trot 10k.  Originally, I was just going to run the 5k but changed my mind when I learned that Disney required at least a 10k time for corral placement in the Princess Half Marathon.  Unfortunately, this race was not chipped-timed so while it was a good experience, I was unable to  submit the time for corral placement.

The morning of the race, it was cold.  Super cold by Florida standards.  It was around 40 degrees.  I arrived at the race site, Clearwater High School, at about 7:45am, a full hour prior to start time.  I parked close to the finish line and then followed the crowd to the start area.  

The Start Line

Race started a couple of minutes late.  The first mile was a blur.  I skipped my first couple of walk intervals.  I was so cold that I just kept running.  The course went down a street and then turned into a neighborhood.  There were some spectators throughout the course and a couple of them even played music for the runners. There were 3 water stops along the course with great volunteers at each.
The Course
I maintained my intervals through most of the course and then I reached mile 5.  I looked up at one point and realized we were about to go up a hill.  I couldn't run up the hill.  All of my training is on flat courses so my legs just would not go.  At the top of the hill, it was a left turn and then we were at the back of the high school and finally at the finish line.

My goal for this race was to finish at around 90 minutes or 15 minute miles.  I was super happy when I crossed the finish line at 1:31:10.  I probably could of finished under the goal if not for that last hill.  There were no medals for this race so I just picked up a water, banana, and fruit snacks from the food line and walked back to my car to ride home.  

This race was a good first test for my training.  I would only run it again if I could convince some friends/family to join me.  The registration fee is super reasonable ($15) and the shirt was cute.